I. Vocabulary and Structure (1 point each, 35 points in all)
1. English people often take umbrellas with them when they go out
because they don't want to be in a rain.
A. seized B. got C. captured D. caught
2. Whenever Tom knew I was in trouble, he always lends me a hand.
A. might B. would C. could D. should
3. There is an arrow on the wall _ the direction of advance.
A. pointing B. identifying
C. marking D. indicating
4. The spaceman found to look at the earth away from it
A. a most exciting experience B. it a most exciting experience
C.that a most exciting experience D.the experience most
5. As people live longer, they to change their ideas about life
A. like B.tend C.wish D.long
6. any instructiorts from the Head Office, we couldn't make any
A. Not receiving B.Receiving no C.Not having recived D.Having not
7. The design was so that you could not find any fault in it.
A. delicate B. elaborate C. fancy D. complicated
8. So fast that it is difficult for us to imagine its speed.
A. light travels B. travels light
C. do light travel D. does light travel
9. She longed to visit Italy, _ she often dreamt about it.
A. so seriously that B. so eagerly that
C. to such an extent that D. so anxiously that
10. Even if he _ here, he would not be able to help us.
A. is B. had been C. has been D. were
11. The classroom is quite clean _ some waste paper on the floor.
A. except for B. except C. besides D. without
12. He is the only one of those boys who _ willing to take a make-up exam
A. is B. were C. has been D. was
13. He speaks English well indeed, but of course not a native speaker
A. as fluent as B. more fluent than
C. so fluently as D. much fluently than
14. Nuclear science should be developed to benefit the people _ harm them.
A. rather than B. other than
C. more than D. better than
15. Everyone is working harder, and living a happier life now, _?
A. isn't one B. aren't we
C. isn't it D. aren't they
16. Sorry, I didn't know _ Dr. Smith has already returned from his holiday. I'II go and see him in a minute
A. that B. when C. whether D. if
17. There's little chance that mankind would a nuclear war.
A. retain B. endure C. maintain D. survive
18. It was a soldier who happened to be there saved the girl from the danger
A. where B. how C. that D. when
19. The dictionary she bought is that I have.
A. twice as much as B. as twice much as
C. twice more than D. twice than
20. When I took his temperature, it was two degrees above _ .
A. average B. ordinary C. regular D. normal
21. I was really anxious about you. You home without a word
A. mustn't leave B. shouldn't have left
C. couldn't have left D. needn' t leave
22. If you your name and address on the card, we'll send the book
to you as soon as it is retumed.
A. go over B. fill in
C. find out D.carry out
23. Would you like more coffee? I'm sure you would .
A. much B. few C. any D.a lot
24. These are common materials we are all familiar.
A. about which B. of which
C. with which D. to which
25. of danger, he jumped into the river all at once.
A. Because B. In terms C. Instead D. carry out
26. When I leave the research institute next week, I there for 18 years.
A. shall be working B. will work
C. shall have worked D. have worked
27. The number of children from l to 15 in different families.
A. varies B. seems C. changes D. turns
28. In ancient time's people used to build their houses with materials .
A. convenient B. important
C. available D. natural
29. She agreed without the slightest .
A. hesitation B. thinking
C. look D. hope
30. Is there any they'll ever find a cure for the common cold?
A. prospective B. prospect
C. prosperity D. prosperous
31. Some people are color-blinded and cannot between blue and green.
A. distinguish B. diffe
r C. separate D. divide
32. knows the name of this song will receive a prize from the radio station.
C. Anyone D. Whoever
33. All the countries are customers or customers of the United States.
A. potential B.pretended
34. The safety rules are__ anyone.
A. applied on B. applied in
C. applied for D. applied to
35. We got to the station only _ that the train had just left.
A. learned B. to learn
C. learning D. having learned
I. Vocabulary and Structure